The average person requires 7-9 hours of sleep nightly to feel refreshed in the morning and productive during the day. Cheating yourself of sleep? Not a good idea. Your body will keep tabs and eventually force you to pay back the debt.
- Improve sleep environment: good mattress, comfy pillow, clean room, dark, cool temperature.
- Reduce light exposure in the evening, use night lights for bathroom runs, but get good day light exposure during waking hours.
- Use the bed only for sleeping and a 3 letter word that starts with “s”.
- No naps after 3pm. Gary, are you paying attention?
- Wear light cotton loose PJ’s (fun fact: 31% of men sleep in the nude).
- Don’t eat a heavy evening meal or 2-3 hours before going to bed.
- Don’t sleep with lights or TV on.
- No evening alcohol or caffeine. This includes chocolate.
- Exercise every day, early is best.
- Talk to your primary care provider if you are constantly tired, snore loudly, or are over using an over-the-counter sleep aid.
Check out the National Sleep Foundation for more sleeping facts and advice.